Thursday, December 29, 2011

DIY: Puffer Vest from Puffer Jacket

Hello world!

I hate the grocery store. I swear that I no joke went to the grocery store at least 25 days in the month of December. It was ridiculous. I am so over it. However, I have a confession to make. I love to check out other chicks....not that I think I have any male readers but if there are any of you, get your heads out of the gutter. I like to check other chicks out because I like to outfit shop other people's clothes. The other day I was at the *((*^&*^& grocery store and I saw like 4 chicks wearing cream colored puffer vests with leggings and/or skinny jeans. SUPER cute! I have never cared for puffer vests, have never wanted one. But I was seriously kicking myself for ignoring all the texts I have gotten from Old Navy about their sickeningly cheap frost free puffer vests. So the next morning I got up and booked it to Old Navy hoping for the best. No luck....not a single vest left except some black ones that looked like they had been sewn out of a Hefty bag. So I got on the trusty internet and looked all over. I knew exactly what I wanted....cream, with pockets and a removable hood with fur. I didn't know where I got such a specific idea in my head from but that was what I wanted. I found a few that were ok. J. Crew had some nice ones but no hood. Juicy had an amazing one but it was not cheap and had kind of a weird shirred waist. I was getting quite frustrated and was about to give up when Deuce (our 70 lb. boxer who thinks he is a lap dog) started whining to go out. So I reach in the closet to grab my jacket and shoes and notice poking out between all of the drab black coats in our coat closet a fluffy fur hood in the perfect shade of winter white. "OH MY GOSH" I think to myself "that is where I got that exact idea of what I wanted in my head." I pull the winter white hood out and uncover a hidden treasure, my cream colored down Gap puffer jacket I got the year I went to Steamboat music fest. I haven't worn it in years because it is so warm. But if it didn't have sleeves I might be able to wear it more often! Don't worry, I didn't make Deuce wait to go potty, no animals were harmed in the making of this post. I walked around aimlessly in the court yard waiting for him to pee planning my perfect puffer vest and all the great outfits I was going to make out of it.

So I got back upstairs and went to work. Here are the details.

Photobucket

Here is the jacket before, with the sleeves still attached. Isn't it cute? I need to have it dry cleaned though, it has a few little dingys on the front.

I got my seam ripper out and started working my way around the arm hole. Then I had to rip the seams out of the inner lining.

Photobucket

I was afraid the down would start leaking out of the exposed seam but luckily Gap did a nice little basting stitch. So I rolled the hem all around the arm hole and pinned it.

Photobucket

Then I just stictched around the arm holes with cream thread and VOILA! now I don't have to go buy anything new! Love repurposing things!! Here is the finished product. I am still in my PJs or I would have modeled it for you. Have a great day!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment